Don't kill my vibe: How to cleanse your space
You can tell if the energy in your home is good or bad based on how you feel inside.
A house filled with good energy feels fresh and vibrant, and you feel happy being there. On the other hand, a house drowning in bad vibes feels stifled, stuck, and stagnant - there are a million places you’d rather be!
If you have noticed excessive complaining, criticism, and blaming between your family members or significant other, there’s a good chance negative energy is present in your home. Luckily, there are many ways to improve your home’s vibrations. Send the bad vibes packing with purification rituals, smudging, and crystal healing techniques.
Before proceeding, make sure your house is free of broken items. One of the biggest signs of negative energy in a home is clutter, which can block energy and impede your home’s natural feng shui. Once that is done, you can move onto the fun part!
Purify your doors and windows with a simple, natural cleaning solution. Mix a bucket of water with the juice from five lemons, 1 cup of sea salt and ¼ cup of ammonia or white vinegar. Clean the doorknobs, doors, frames, and windows in your home. The entryways are where outside energy enters your home, so it’s important to keep them purified.
Smudging the home is a powerful energy-clearing technique that involves burning bundles of sage, patchouli, palo santo, or copal incense to rid the home of bad spirits. Follow this guide to smudge your home:
- Stand in the center or at the front door of the room you want to cleanse. Most people begin in the kitchen, as it’s the heart of the home.
- Light the sage (or palo santo, etc) like you’d light incense, and let the flames die out (they will, very quickly).
- Fan the smudge carefully to encourage a steady stream of smoke. Envision the smoke absorbing bad energy and carrying it away.
- Cleanse yourself first by lightly fanning the smoke around your body, beginning at your feet and working up toward your head.
- Walk clockwise around the room, swirling the smudge in circular motions. Pay special attention to the walls, corners and floor, and don’t forget the ceiling.
Set out healing crystals on the windowsill or in corners. Crystals have powerful protective properties and will help break up any stagnant energy. Selenite, a clear crystal, can cleanse energy and raise the vibration in your home to a higher level. Black tourmaline is a protective crystal that absorbs depression and harmful EMF radiation. Rose quartz is known to open the heart chakra, while amethyst helps with intention setting. If you have a favorite crystal that works for you, place it in rooms where negative energy seems to accumulate.